Religious Upbringings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Libertas
Lightworker
Lightworker

Your Country : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Religious Upbringings   Fri 26 Feb 2010 - 23:20

Was anyone brought up in a religious family?

If so, do you still hold any of those beliefs, and if you walked away from the religion, how did it feel?

I was born into a Christian family. I had to go to Sunday School and church every week, and sometimes on a Saturday too.
I never really believed in it. I tried to, I really did. But I never really liked going to church.
My parents said when I was old enough to make my own mind up, I could stop going to church if I wanted to.
Aged 17, I stopped going.
They have always respected my choice. But I do feel bad sometimes for not believing what they do. For rejecting a part of them.
Back to top Go down
Helen
Elder
Elder

Your Country : Wales

PostSubject: Re: Religious Upbringings   Fri 26 Feb 2010 - 23:30

wow great topic angel,

I was/am very lucky as I was brought up in a non religious family, but faith and religion was talked about openly if we wanted to go to Sunday school we could, no pressure at all though. My mum was named in a Spiritualist church and there was open talk about spirit and energy from a young age..

However, I sometimes wonder if I missed out because we did nt do the whole church thing...

As most of you know my boys are in Catholic schools (primary and high school) and I think they are getting a fantastic education andare really getting the best of both worlds, as when they are home they can talk about angels and crystals, feelings and energy etc..

Elder and founder

Love, light and blessings hearts

There are NO coincidences in this life.......
Back to top Go down
mia
Lightworker
Lightworker

PostSubject: Re: Religious Upbringings   Fri 26 Feb 2010 - 23:32

I was lucky.
My mum never pushed any religious belief on me.
I remember asking her about God and baby Jesus one Xmas time.
I was about 8yrs old.
She asked me what I thought.
I tended to believe what my teacher taught me.
She said that was fine.

Recently, she told me she asked for a spiritually minded child when she knew she was pregnant with me.
Back to top Go down
Libertas
Lightworker
Lightworker

PostSubject: Re: Religious Upbringings   Fri 26 Feb 2010 - 23:36

That's great Mia, that she got what she asked for! Very Happy
Helen, I think your boys are very lucky Smile
They are certainly going to be able to make an informed decision on their lives when they are older!
I don't think you missed out on much. It's difficult sometimes, I suppose it's normal when you have left a religion like I did, I do have moments of worry that I'm "wrong again", even though I never chose the religion for myself.
Whereas spirituality, it isn't really a choice either, it is just the way I am. But Christianity just wasn't me, at all.
Back to top Go down
L'angel
Mage
Mage

Your Country : United States

PostSubject: Re: Religious Upbringings   Sat 27 Feb 2010 - 18:26

Helen,

I did not realize your sons went to Catholic School... I think that I have said this here somewhere before~~~~
Growing up Catholic was a great experience for me. I still find comfort in some of the rituals and other parts of the Mass. Of course, there are things that I strongly disagree with..and I leave those things to the side. I have taken certain parts that I agree with and I carry them with me today. In my adult life, another girl and I attended a weekly informal meeting {kind of a question and answer} with an older priest! I learned so much from him, not only about religion, but just general life issues. We talked to him (sometimes argued), picked his brain, and I am sure we tired him and gave him headaches...but, he was always there the next week, smiling. Sorry, I am just rambling....My point was....we spoke to him about exorcism, spirit, ghosts, angels, etc.
He was soooo knowledgable on many subjects...and gave me a new insight on things that the Catholic Church accepts and believes, but does not necessarily "preach".
Also, Chrisitians always thought we were weird because we asked Mother Mary, Saints, and Angels for help...they said that part of our religion was "hethern", called us fish eaters, blah blah.
Sorry, this is way too long....
Back to top Go down
Libertas
Lightworker
Lightworker

PostSubject: Re: Religious Upbringings   Sat 27 Feb 2010 - 23:24

I don't think I hold any of the beliefs I was brought up with. It was a quite unusual religion.
I'm no angel (ironically lol! ) but I do think I have a decent set of morals and I suppose that's the only thing I really got from my church going years. But I think it was more down to my parents.
Back to top Go down
crimsonwind
Spiritual
Spiritual

PostSubject: Re: Religious Upbringings   Sun 28 Feb 2010 - 2:37

I was Baptized  in the Methodist church by my parents when I was born. After my parents divorce- my mother remarried, the man she married was a Southern Baptist. My step-father is a good man, not perfect, but decent and kind. I don't recognize him as fire breathing... he knows the bible inside and out and has beliefs I can't abide by. He wanted for both of us (my sister and myself) to attend bible school. I liked it, until it was made clear 'the church didn't accept children of divorce'. It was sad really. Bible study, like any other kind of study came easily to me... academics are easy for me. But, knowledge and acceptance of the hypocrisy was to much to bear. I would never allow my daughter to go to a religious school. Ever! Can you say indoctrination into ideas, and continued subjugation of woman? I want my daughter to stay out of the fray. I have hopes she won't marry a knuckle dragging idiot down the road. There aren't many men who haven't been ruined in some way by Christianity- regardless of denomination. I carry almost nothing of my earlier faith. I will attend Unitarian church sometimes, and this you might find strange, but I had Victoria Christened in the Unitarian church. It has the closest understanding to respect for the feminine I could find... I feel Wiccans are welcome, and Christ isn't hissed out like in many churches. I feel close to the mother there sometimes. Unitarians truly respect the principle of divine equality... God has a mother. They respect. I respect them for it. My daughter was named there. Held aloft to the community, the clan, and welcomed- blessed with rose petals, not holy water ... It was truly moving. Any Wiccan would've been proud... I was.
Back to top Go down
Luna
Enlightened
Enlightened

PostSubject: Re: Religious Upbringings   Mon 1 Mar 2010 - 0:02

My Mom was athiest, my dad agnostic, I grew up with good morals from my dad, and allowed to believe in whatever i wanted to believe in.
Back to top Go down
balen13
Lightworker
Lightworker

Your Country : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Religious Upbringings   Mon 1 Mar 2010 - 7:12

My parents classed themselves christians, but were never very religious, I remember dad trying to take us kids to church once but felt so embarrased by the end that he didn't try again.

They believed in god, but believed that it matters more how you live and act rather than things like going to church.

So I was always pretty much left to form my own system of beliefs, which suited me to a tea Wink
Back to top Go down
Helen
Elder
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Religious Upbringings   Mon 1 Mar 2010 - 19:43

so now I see how we all ended up here

a big thank you to all our mums and dads

Elder and founder

Back to top Go down
L'angel
Mage
Mage

PostSubject: Re: Religious Upbringings   Mon 1 Mar 2010 - 20:03

Helen,
Do you like your son's school???
Back to top Go down
Helen
Elder
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Religious Upbringings   Mon 1 Mar 2010 - 20:59

My sons are getting a fantastic education in a loving environment - what more could I ask for..

Thankfully they are very modern in there teaching approaches and do not expect them to know the bible inside out...

Elder and founder

Back to top Go down
L'angel
Mage
Mage

PostSubject: Re: Religious Upbringings   Mon 1 Mar 2010 - 23:12

Yes! I am glad you are pleased.

I never felt that the bible was just shoved down my throat,
Do you know what was different?
When I was little, the Mass was still said in Latin~~~~~
Back to top Go down
Helen
Elder
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Religious Upbringings   Mon 1 Mar 2010 - 23:20

Wow so are you fluent in Latin then?

I think they are probably in the best school in the area (junior and high) and I know they will be given every opportunity grow and progess!!

Elder and founder

Back to top Go down
L'angel
Mage
Mage

PostSubject: Re: Religious Upbringings   Mon 1 Mar 2010 - 23:39

No, I wish I was fluent in Latin...I would just read along in English. Although, some of the words did become familiar, but it has been to long!!

Glad you feel good about their education..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Religious Upbringings   

Back to top Go down

Religious Upbringings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Spiritual Home :: Spiritual Forums :: Belief Systems-
Jump to: