View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Helen
Elder
Elder

Your Country : Wales

PostSubject: Native American Teachings   Sun 9 Jan 2011 - 23:21

I know our lovely Ane has a very strong connection to Native American history and am hoping we will get to read some of her articles soon.

I am wondering if we have any other members that would be able to add to our understanding of there teachings, either past or present (or both)

please feel free to post here any info you have or to let me know what kind of info you would like to see and I will do my best to find credible articles.

Elder and founder

Love, light and blessings hearts

There are NO coincidences in this life.......
Back to top Go down
Nas
Spiritual
Spiritual

Your Country : Netherlands

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   Sun 9 Jan 2011 - 23:38

Wjat native americans do you mean?The ones from north america?
Or the ones from south america too?
Back to top Go down
Helen
Elder
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   Mon 10 Jan 2011 - 16:12

All I would love to hear and learn about as much as I can, as I am sure others would also.

Elder and founder

Back to top Go down
Amberain
Elder
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   Mon 10 Jan 2011 - 17:04

Native America.

In native American tradition,everything in creation-every plant,stone and animal-has a spiritual force.There is no sense of ourselves and nature being separate:We are all relation in spirit.So crystals,herbs,plants and animals can become our friends and teachers-and some can become powerful totems or allies.

The Medicine Wheel

The medicine Wheel forms an important part of Native North American tradition.It comprises a large ring of 36 stones laid out on the earth.Each stone represents a spiritual force-be it Farther Sun,Mother Earth,or a series of totem animal spirits.

By meditating on the Wheel or working with its symbols in ritual,it is possible to come to an understanding of the whole of creation and our own place within it.

Spirit Animals

The Medicine Wheel is like a giant compass.At each cardinal point,the directions North,South,East and West,stands as a Spirit Animal-the White Buffalo.Coyote,Eagle and Grizzly Bear.Each of theses totem animals is also connected with one of the four elements-Earth,Water,Air and Fire.
Buffalo,Coyote,Eagle and Bear are all strong guardians.
You can also call on the energy of these great guardians whenever you need their particular attributes.
So if you are feeling stuck and need a solution you can call on clever Coyote.If you are feeling frightened and need a powerful ally,ask for the help and protection from the great Grizzly Bear.When you need clear vision and insight,Eagle can come to your aid.Whenever you need grounding,the solid force of Buffalo can help.
There are variations on the animals and elements according to which tradition you follow,but these four are the most common.

Witchcraft ... Is a spiritual path.....  You walk it for nourishment of the soul, to commune with the life force of the universe, and to thereby better know your own life.

CHRISTOPHER PENCZAK ~ The Inner Temple of Witchcraft )O(

Back to top Go down
Helen
Elder
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   Mon 10 Jan 2011 - 18:44

Thanks for the info

Elder and founder

Back to top Go down
aneaglesangel
Master
Master

Your Country : United States

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   Tue 11 Jan 2011 - 21:04

It can be difficult to speak of the beliefs and traditions of the Native Americans, for they differ from area to area. Here in the Northeast, may of the tribes were "Algonquins". For most Algonquin tribes, women did have a place and standing in the tribes. Not only was there a Council of Brothers, but a Council of Sisters. The thought of owning land was ridiculous to them, and the fact that the white man paid them money for land that couldn't be owned was probably thought of as funny to them. For how can a person own the mother earth?

One thing that I learned from a sachem (chief) in my area that I interviewed for a book I want to work on in the future surprised me! Crime was looked at in a very different manner than it is for us. When a tribal member committed a serious crime, the penalty was death. There was no trial, there was no deciding what to do with the criminal. Once it was decided that a crime was committed, the offender had 7 days to prepare their affairs and then they were put to death. They had a code of honor that usually prevented crimes because of the morality of the tribal people, but when crime did occur, it was dealt with severely. The morality of the tribal people was so intense that the person was free, he was told to get his affairs in order and to be back on a specific day. That person, the offender, would prepare his affairs and actually come back on the appointed day to be put to death. Their ways, their spiritual beliefs and their traditions were so strongly believed in by all, that the trust in the offender to come back was a given.

Certain things, such as hospitality to strangers or travelers was so strongly fixed in their lives that they would provide shelter to others, even when, if given the chance, those same strangers had turned their backs on the tribal member. Once such story I had read about a Native person being stranded on a cold night. He knocked on the door of a white man and was turned away. Barely surviving the night, he did make it home eventually. On another cold and wintry night, the homeowner who had not provided the Native with a warm place to stay, got lost. With nowhere else to go, he knocked at the longhouse of the Native who hadn't gotten shelter on a warm night. Even so, this Native opened his longhouse to the lost man and provided him with a good meal and a warm blanket, along with his fire to share. I can only hope that this white man learned a lesson and opened his own home to those in need.

In these ways, I find it easier to show the spirituality that is the Native American way. Though their ways do differ, many of the foundations are the same. Honor, truth and morality are a few things I think we could learn by walking the red path. As for me, I only hope that I can walk that path and be as true as they are. For being "red" comes from the heart more than anything else! Hugs!
Back to top Go down
kimcreative
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   Wed 12 Jan 2011 - 2:15

I remember meeting a medium on SFF who told me about his spirit guide. His spirit guide/teacher was an American Indian, a chief in one of his past lives. Our guides can take on any form they want but he told me his guide choose to take on the form of the American Indian because this was an energy he felt the earth needed and could use at this time. The earth needs to return to the ways of relating and caring for each other and the earth as the American Indians have (or still do). I always thought that was interesting.
Back to top Go down
Wolf
Mage
Mage

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   Fri 20 May 2011 - 11:28

Could anyone help me please,

I have always had a great feeling to learn all bout Native American Indians, I am looking for advice and guidance of any good sites that I may visit or even looking at joining any groups available to anyone outside of the Native American Indian community to learn of their history, Ways, Teachings and much more.

Please could anyone advise me
Back to top Go down
aneaglesangel
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   Fri 20 May 2011 - 16:41

There is a beautiful set of books that a person named Wolf Moondance wrote. The one I'm working on is called Star Medicine, and there is also a Rainbow Medicine, which I've already worked on. Usually the best thing is to try and see if something feels right for you. Stay away from things that call themselves "shamans" or say they practice shamanism. The native American way is not shamanism. Shamanism is not North American for most native Americans call themselves medicine people.

One thing I know about these programs is that they are beautiful. I've worked on one, like I say, and I built a medicine wheel, made prayer ties and many other physical projects that help me to understand myself mentally and emotionally.

But whatever program you find that fits you, make sure it's really Native American. There is a difference! Hugs!
Back to top Go down
Wolf
Mage
Mage

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   Fri 20 May 2011 - 20:17

Many thanks for the helpful and kind reply aneaglesangel,

I will look around for the books and many thanks for all the advice you have given in the post.
Back to top Go down
Nas
Spiritual
Spiritual

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   Fri 20 May 2011 - 22:55

" Stay away from things that call themselves "shamans" or say they
practice shamanism. The native American way is not shamanism.
Shamanism is not North American for most native Americans call
themselves medicine people." I m so glad someone mentiones it.......Now I finally understand what I didnt like about certaon ppl,,,,,,,,,,,like somethinmg wasnt right.......hehe. Thanks, Aneaglesangel!
I do have one question though...........What I ve noticed is, if ppl talk about native americans, they only talk about the native americans fron north america........how about the other native americans? Or are these indians not as native as the ppl from the north?
Back to top Go down
aneaglesangel
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   Fri 20 May 2011 - 23:51

They call them powwows here in the Wampanoag tribes too! Hugs!

Well, there is sort of a distinction there are central American Natives, way North American Natives like Eskimos. But all in all they were Native here so I think can all be considered "Native Americans."
Back to top Go down
Nas
Spiritual
Spiritual

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   Sat 21 May 2011 - 3:33

What I found out here, in my country, is that most 'spiritual'people have this very romantic idea about american indians. Things like death penalty as Aneaglesangel mentioned, is probably a real shock to most of them.... My ex is an american indian........but from the southern part........from the lands of Inca...........where his ancestors were maybe spiritual, but very very cruel........ppl seem to prefer to forget about it......
Back to top Go down
aneaglesangel
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   Sat 21 May 2011 - 7:35

Oh yes some of the Inca tribes were pretty violent. But then again if you think about it, aren't most races violent? You can call the Incas violent, but at the same time I have read of what the Spanish did to the Incas. Or there is a death penalty for the Wampanoag tribe that was usually carried out voluntarily, some might find that barbaric. Then again, their sachem or chief was drawn and quartered by the "more civilized" English and his head was removed from his body. (Drawn and quartered if you don't know was to be cut in 4 pieces and to have the pieces dragged to the four corners of the earth. His head and the heads of many of his counselors, advisers hung outside Fort Plimouth for 20 years. So who is barbaric and who is not. Still to this day, people rape, murder and beat each other. Wars are fought over land, over money, over different beliefs. I believe that if we don't learn from the mistakes that our ancestors made, by seeing the violence they did for what it really was, and also be able to see the good, the kindnesses that people did for each other, we will keep repeating the same mistakes, over and over again.

Hope I made sense, I'm real tired, late over here, just got in from an investigation. Hugs!
Back to top Go down
Nas
Spiritual
Spiritual

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   Sat 21 May 2011 - 16:12

I know what quartered means. It was used as a way to execute ppl in the medieval times........and roman times.........It was done by horses....in europe..It is true, lots of races and people were very cruel, most of them actually.........But what really really annoys me, especially here in the netherlands, and to be more specific, in spiritual 'indian; shoppes and on spiritual fairs ( we have many here) is the ppl who are interested in native americans, are only talking about the ppl from the great plains to start with, and second, dont know a thing about the less pleasant aspects of their society.They simply make it look like 'the native americans' ( as if you can say that in general,,,there are so many different tribes and cultures etc) are very spiritual, loving peacefull ppl. yeah right...They have this kind of Hollywood idea about these ppl....... The ppl in the south part, ( I forgot if its maya, Aztek or Toltek, ) had this type of soccer games,,,,,,,,,,, The loosing team lost a lot more than just the game...........they were decapitated....And that s just one of the many examples of cruelty among them.
Back to top Go down
pluralone
Mage
Mage

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   Mon 23 May 2011 - 2:20

Hee... when I was growing up, 'Indians' were portrayed in the movies as purely villainous. They were consistently the 'bad guys'. Now Hollywood has taken it to the other extreme. Either way is an imbalanced view. Maybe some day they'll find that balance.

...Naaaaah. Probably not. I mean, we are talking Hollywood here...

From time to time, I do consider that I might be mad. Like any self-respecting lunatic, however, I am
always quick to dismiss any doubts about my sanity.
-Odd Thomas
Back to top Go down
aneaglesangel
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   Tue 24 May 2011 - 0:28

Well that's the thing too. You can't put all of the tribes into one category. Many of the tribes were peaceful and spiritual. Some of them were thieves who depended on robbing other tribes, such as the Comanches. It was a way of life that they still to this day are immensely proud of. They would ride into a village of peaceful tribes, take their supplies, their goods, and the women. Think about it, sounds like many of the peoples of Europe back in the day. They're not so different. But again, they're not all of the tribes, and even peaceful tribes had aspects we may find barbarian. People are people, for the most part, they try to be good, there's a few bad apples here and there, but either way, one sort of tribe can not be blended with another. I tend to go more towards the Algonquin tribes, which are were my roots lie, and are local to me. Algonquins include the Wampanoag and Iroquois, for instances. I like matriarchal tribes I guess.

But putting the tribes into one category as some tend to do is just as wrong as saying all white people are blood thirsty savages, or all black people do voodoo. You know what I'm saying. Smile
Back to top Go down
Holupinio
Novice
Novice

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   Thu 3 Nov 2011 - 17:01

Hello all,

I am looking to learn a lot about Native American spiritualism , primarily North American, and this seems like the place with all the know how.

My first question is relating to how violence was incorporated into their spiritual teachings? I know that earlier you mentioned how criminals were put to death and that moraly they stuck to those laws, but more specifically how is certain violence justified through their beliefes? What ways do their spiritual leaders or "gods" address/use violence?

I also understand that beliefs vary from tribe to tribe so when answering please be as specific as possible on the tribe names/origin.

Thanks for the help!

-First time user and lost soul looking for his way.

Much love <3
Back to top Go down
pluralone
Mage
Mage

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   Fri 4 Nov 2011 - 1:23

I can't answer those questions, Holupinio, but I'm sure there are members who can. Just wanted to welcome you to Our Spiritual Home. Looking forward to getting to know you.

Smile
-plur

From time to time, I do consider that I might be mad. Like any self-respecting lunatic, however, I am
always quick to dismiss any doubts about my sanity.
-Odd Thomas
Back to top Go down
libranaster
Seeker
Seeker

Your Country : Australia

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   Mon 7 Nov 2011 - 5:28

Native Americans are such facinating people so in touch with their spiritual selves and the spiritual realm thankyou for the info I haven't read it all but I will soon excellent topic Helen
Back to top Go down
Atehequa
Novice
Novice

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   Thu 15 May 2014 - 19:03

@Amberain wrote:
Native America.

In native American tradition,everything in creation-every plant,stone and animal-has a spiritual force.There is no sense of ourselves and nature being separate:We are all relation in spirit.So crystals,herbs,plants and animals can become our friends and teachers-and some can become powerful totems or allies.

The Medicine Wheel

The medicine Wheel forms an important part of Native  North American tradition.It comprises a large ring of 36 stones laid out on the earth.Each stone represents a spiritual force-be it Farther Sun,Mother Earth,or a series of totem animal spirits.

By meditating on the Wheel or working with its symbols in ritual,it is possible to come to an understanding of the whole of creation and our own place within it.

Spirit Animals

The Medicine Wheel is like a giant compass.At each cardinal point,the directions North,South,East and West,stands as a Spirit Animal-the White Buffalo.Coyote,Eagle and Grizzly Bear.Each of theses totem animals is also connected with one of the four elements-Earth,Water,Air and Fire.
Buffalo,Coyote,Eagle and Bear are all strong guardians.
You can also call on the energy of these great guardians whenever you need their particular attributes.
So if you are feeling stuck and need a solution you can call on clever Coyote.If you are feeling frightened and need a powerful ally,ask for the help and protection from the great Grizzly Bear.When you need clear vision and insight,Eagle can come to your aid.Whenever you need grounding,the solid force of Buffalo can help.
There are variations on the animals and elements according to which tradition you follow,but these four are the most common.

So regarding all the hundreds of diverse indigenous tribal groups, your information pretty much puts everything in a nut shell when it comes to aboriginal spirituality of the western hemisphere, eh?
Back to top Go down
Rosa
Mage
Mage

Your Country : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   Wed 28 May 2014 - 14:02

Hmm.. all I know is the spirit family that my essence belongs to really that's native american. I don't know much about them  think they are a navajo family but the wise woman used to scry the connection through her bowl of water or campfire energies. And that's from past life connection so I could try asking them if they're still around and willing to connect though but might have to try through meditation and see what appears through in channelled writing perhaps. Don't know if they're still around though so hmm food for thought. Other thing I only really know is the fact that one needs to ground and protect with regards to dreaming  and think that was purely a warning for me in case one floats off lol and about smudging which is native american way. Peace  lol!
Back to top Go down
Atehequa
Novice
Novice

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   Sun 21 Sep 2014 - 18:36

For one thing the majority of us do not refer to ourselves as 'Native Americans'. When our hunter gatherer ancestors crossed the Bering Land Bridge there was not a big sign on the other side that read - WELCOME TO AMERICA. Amerigo Vespucci, a European named our many homelands in the western hemisphere, America. Since the European invasion, conquest and founding of the United States of America, anyone born in this land regardless of their descent are native Americans. We the descendants of those who arrived here tens of thousands of years ago are older than America. Personally, if referred to as an nationality or culture, I prefer American Indian, knowing it's origins. Columbus called the indigenous island people he encountered "Indios" which means in or of god. Many think Columbus thought he had encountered Indians from India, but there was no land called India in 1492. It was known as Hindustan during the 15th and 16th century.

And again there was nor is a common supreme deity all the many different nations, tribes and bands revere as being the great spirit. No common spirituality, no one supreme god. When discussing indigenous beliefs it's better to do so on an individual basis.
Back to top Go down
Rosa
Mage
Mage

Your Country : United Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   Tue 2 Jun 2015 - 14:20

Definitely in agreement with you on that, we still have a lot to learn when connecting to Spirit and Our Ancestors. I think there is more out there than what meets the eye.
Back to top Go down
monkeyofstick
Seeker
Seeker

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   Fri 12 Jun 2015 - 21:01

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Native American Teachings   

Back to top Go down

Native American Teachings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top