Just for today...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Helen
Elder
Elder

Your Country : Wales

PostSubject: Just for today...   Thu 5 May 2011 - 20:17

Anyone that has been attuned to reiki will have read and learnt the following poem:

Just for today I will not act in anger,
Just for today I will not worry,
Just for today I will be grateful,
Just for today I will work honestly,
Just for today I will honour my elders
Just for today I will be kind to every living thing

**NOTE** there are many different wordings of the above used

I think that if everyone could wake up - say this - mean it and do it, we would live in a very different world...

whether you have been attuned to reiki of any form, maybe this should be a mantra for daily living

What do you think?

Elder and founder

Love, light and blessings hearts

There are NO coincidences in this life.......

Last edited by Helen on Fri 6 May 2011 - 14:54; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pluralone
Mage
Mage

Your Country : United States

PostSubject: Re: Just for today...   Fri 6 May 2011 - 4:41

I like the general theme well enough, but I'd have preferred if the first line, "I will not anger", had been worded differently. It really is very important (imo) to not act from a place of anger, but I don't think it's reasonable to try to control the basic anger response itself. Anger, as an emotion, can be very useful; it's an indication that something isn't right, whether it's a situation or one's own thinking. I think it's not the fact of getting angry that's important so much as what one does with anger when it arises.

I'm not going to attempt to stop myself from getting angry; it's an honest emotion, and often very appropriate for the situation at hand. The I Ching recommends equanimity ("evenness of mind, especially under stress") as a basis for how to handle emotional upset, and that's what I aim for -- while I allow myself the feeling, my goal is to deal with it and not to express my anger through my actions. I miss the mark often enough, but I think it's a more realistic goal to control my behavior rather than control my basic emotional response.

Overall, though, this is a great thing to use for grounding and centering, especially in setting the tone for the day. Thanks for posting it here, Helen.

From time to time, I do consider that I might be mad. Like any self-respecting lunatic, however, I am
always quick to dismiss any doubts about my sanity.
-Odd Thomas
Back to top Go down
Helen
Elder
Elder

Your Country : Wales

PostSubject: Re: Just for today...   Fri 6 May 2011 - 14:26

I agree

How about changing ours to:

Just for today I will not act in anger

what do you think?

Elder and founder

Love, light and blessings hearts

There are NO coincidences in this life.......
Back to top Go down
pluralone
Mage
Mage

PostSubject: Re: Just for today...   Fri 6 May 2011 - 14:47

Sounds good to me! I kind of think that's what Dr. Usui meant anyway; things do get lost in translation -- just try reading assembly instructions for anything that's been manufactured overseas! hee

From time to time, I do consider that I might be mad. Like any self-respecting lunatic, however, I am
always quick to dismiss any doubts about my sanity.
-Odd Thomas
Back to top Go down
truthseeker58
Believer
Believer

PostSubject: just for today   Sun 15 May 2011 - 17:17

[quote="Helen"]Anyone that has been attuned to reiki will have read and learnt the following poem:

Just for today I will not act in anger,
Just for today I will not worry,
Just for today I will be grateful,
Just for today I will work honestly,
Just for today I will honour my elders
Just for today I will be kind to every living thing

**NOTE** there are many different wordings of the above used

I think that if everyone could wake up - say this - mean it and do it, we would live in a very different world...

Thank you Helen for sharing this powerful mantra. Years ago I was graced with a mantra that's almost identical. I agree -- upon awakening using the mantra as our intentions we would feel more positive energy and see the influence globally.

And your "anger" modification is perfect.

Grateful for these words of wisdom
truthseeker58

squeeze me hearts
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just for today...   

Back to top Go down

Just for today...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Our Spiritual Home :: Spiritual Forums :: Healing Modalities-